The Gadget Guru

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Old Gadget: Sony Walkman TPS-L2 (1979)


I made a mistake! I should have put the greatest classic gadget ever (Not to mention the first gadget ever!) as my first post! Of course! The Sony Walkman TPS-L2! The Gadget that started them all... The One and Only.

"Portable music players are so cheap and ubiquitous today that it's hard to remember when they were luxury items, widely coveted and often stolen. But when the blue and silver Walkman debuted in 1979, no one had ever seen anything quite like it. The $200 player virtually invented the concept of 'personal electronics.' "

Are you all set to get one yet? No? How about this:

"Apparently fearful that consumers would consider the Walkman too antisocial, Sony built the first units with two headphone jacks so you could share music with a friend. The company later dropped this feature."

(I wonder why!) Now you want to get one, right? "Nah! Why would I want to get one of those when I could get a 2GB flash-based, slick, black iPod Nano with a screen for the same price?" Why else? To sell on eBay and get a 60GB iPod instead! (Of course!) Stay iTuned!

1 Comments:

  • That's pretty awesome. I wish they still put two headphone ports on MP3 players today; that would be very nice.

    Where did you find the info for this?

    By Blogger James, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home